My 29 EXCUSES
I feel like an idiot.
I have been saying for as long as I can fricking remember now that I want to be great on YouTube. I wanna figure out how to make all kinds of videos so more people know about me, Coach Jennie and Hilda, and all of the wonderful work that I do. And yet, instead of, you know, making YouTube videos, I've been playing the YouTube hokey pokey.
You know, the hokey pokey where you put one foot in, you put one foot out and you play, you go in and out. That's what I've been doing. I have been playing around with the concept of making YouTube videos with doing just about everything, but making YouTube videos.
So today I would like to throw myself under the bus, just in case I'm not alone in this and share with you my 29 excuses.
- I don't understand how YouTube works.
- I have pandemic hair.
- I wanna lose a little more weight before I get really serious about YouTube.
- I just don't understand keyword research.
- I need to order some more concealer.
- I don't have a fancy backdrop.
- I need one of those fabulous little studios that everybody has.
- Seriously, my office is my bedroom. You can see my pillows over my shoulder there.
- The sun isn't out today, so my lighting is really bad.
- I think I need to do some more research and find a better microphone.
- I don't really know what to talk about next.
- I can't even spell algorithm.
- I don't understand how playlist work.
- My last video only got seven likes.
- How am I supposed to know what my keyword should be?
- I haven't finished Sunny Lenarduzzi's YouTube for Bosses course yet. Maybe once I finish that course, I'll know everything I need to know, and then I'll shoot videos.
- What if nobody watches the video?
- I need to hire a YouTube strategist first.
- Are my video thumbnails good enough?
- And I cannot figure out how to get my fricking channel art right. I hate Canva.
- I live in Los Angeles and there goes another helicopter, again.
- I don't know how to write the right video titles. There's no rule book. Like, is this a good video title?
- Final Cut Pro scares me.
- I wanna publish professional videos.
- But what if this next video goes viral and that's not really what I wanna be known for. Maybe I shouldn't shoot that video.
- I don't wanna start until I figure out my entire YouTube video production workflow, because you need a workflow. That's a fancy word, workflow.
- I'm not sure what my YouTube audience really wants from me.
- I have so many other things that I need to be doing, maybe YouTube is not really the right thing for me to spend my time on.
- And let's be real, Tony Robbins and Mel Robbins, and somebody else named Robbins has probably said everything I'm gonna say anyway.
I could go on and on and on. I mean, there's so many fricking excuses that I use for reasons I don't do this. And then I sign up for yet again, another way that I'm gonna shoot more video, and I join all these challenges, and intensives, and all these things. And the truth is, I just need to turn on the fricking camera.
And on top of that, I have invested quite a bit of time and money into making sure that Apple hooks me up. I got the iPhone Pro, I got the iPad Pro, with my FiLMiC Pro, for my Final Cut Pro, I'm ready to be a pro. And yet, I haven't been willing to get started.
And I'm telling you as my clients, as my followers all the time that you need to just start experimenting and stop strategizing. In fact, that's what I talked about in my last video. How embarrassing is that? And yet here I am overthinking and over-strategizing and trying to figure out how to create the perfect video.
And all love to Sunny Lenarduzzi and all of the wonderful YouTubers out there who have really great strategies that work. I'm not saying those strategies don't work, but what I am saying is, I'm not shooting enough video because I'm waiting until I understand the strategy inside and out. And so that means I am not getting my message out.
And here's the bottom line. This aha that I had yesterday is that this is ridiculous. I want more people to know about my message, to know about my work, and to join my community called Make It Happen.
And the only way that's gonna happen is if more people know about me. If I'm bingeable, if there's more opportunities for you to feel like, "Oh my gosh, I get that Coach Jennie, she's really fun." I wanna create a bunch of videos that you can binge-watch. I used to do that back in the Blab days. Anybody remember Blab? It was so great. But Blab is gone, YouTube is here and I need to make some fricking videos.
So I am here doing this really quick, ranty little video, throwing myself under the bus and pointing out that I am done. I'm done. I'm done waiting until I have the perfect little strategy sorted out. In fact, I'm done learning about how to do that on YouTube. I'm gonna let somebody else learn about that. And once this YouTube thing kind of picks up a little steam, I'll have somebody do that for me.
I need to be behind the microphone talking to you. I need to just look at the stupid little camera on my stupid little phone and start talking. And what is it that you need to do? It might not be YouTube videos, but you know it's a thing. How many of us are sitting around waiting until we're ready? There's no such thing as ready by the way, but we're waiting until we're ready and that we have everything right, so that we can do exactly what we're supposed to do so that we can be successful, following the whatever system or strategy that we've been taught, is the thing that we're supposed to do. I've been waiting, I'm done waiting.
So here's my commitment. (I always ask my clients what their commitments are. So I figured, you know, I would do it too.) I am committed to making 100 crappy videos.
No, I'm not willing to say 100 crappy videos in 100 days because, hello perfectionism. I don't wanna feed Hilda here. I don't wanna make this hard. I don't wanna make it complicated. I don't even wanna care whether or not this is a 10-minute video. Should I someday in the future be able to get monetized, to make sure I make all the money. I want to shoot more videos so I get better at shooting video. That's it.
I wanna shoot more videos so I get better at it.
Again, in my last video I talked about, if you wanna get good at ice skating, you have to strap on skates and eat some ice. You don't get good at it thinking about it, learning about it, watching YouTube videos about ice skating. Same with this, same with anything. And I know this, I teach this and yet here I am getting guru'd in thinking that the only way I'm allowed to do this is the right way. Well, I'm not a robot. I'm not gonna do it.
That is my challenge for myself. I'm gonna shoot 100 crappy videos. They are not gonna follow any of the rules and we're gonna see whether or not you like them. And if you do like them, lovely. If you don't, that's okay too. But I am going to do it so I get better at this. That's it. That's all I wanna do. So now I'm supposed to say some punchy, perfect little call to action. I don't have one because this is crappy video number one. My only challenge to you is, what are you waiting for?
I am done waiting. I am ready to make it happen.
If you are ready to stop squandering your potential, subscribe to this channel - and ring the bell to be notified when I drop a new video.